Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Prison Ministry

Several months ago I embarked on a journey that I know is going to shape me and change me in ways that I cannot even fathom. When I heard God calling me to start serving in prison ministry, as a mother of three small children I wanted to make excuses about not having time, but the voice of the Holy Spirit was very loud and clear.

Every Thursday night I travel with a group of ladies to a women's prison that houses around 2200 inmates. We have a Bible Study with as many as 56 of these precious women. We love on them and share with them about God's redeeming love and listen to their struggles and many deep hurts. Although the world has given up on them, God hasn't!

As I look back at my own past, my failures and my disobedience, I am reminded of the fact that no one is too far gone and no one is not worth it. I am thankful for the stories in the Bible of people like Saul/Paul who persecuted and killed Christians, the thief on the cross, David who committed adultery and the many others that God redeemed and changed their lives. I am in awe of how He can take our "yuck" and make it beautiful through Jesus!

One thing that I have had to come to grips with in all the endeavors God calls me to is that I am not in charge of the results and I cannot depend on them for satisfaction. I just have to be obedient and know that my faithfulness is what God requires of me. The harsh reality that goes along with any ministry is that we live in a fallen world, one that wants us to fail as Christians. A world that would love nothing more than to suck us into the pits of addiction, chain us to fear and worry and drown us in bitterness and anger which keeps us from the freedom in Christ that God has planned for us. These are the reasons that most of these women are in the situation they are in, not because they are any different than you or me, but because they got caught in their sin and the earthly consequence was prison time.

I am so thankful to those of you that are reading this post. I am praying that it blesses you and touches your heart and that you will commit to pray for me in this ministry and pray for the ladies that I am ministering to.

Here are some specific prayer requests:
  • Please pray that God will heal their deep hurts and that they will move forward from their pasts and make godly choices in the future
  • Pray that when they get out that God will put some amazing godly women in their lives to help them and that they get plugged into am amazing church that teaches God's truths
  • Pray that when they get out that they will stay away from people and things that would get them into trouble and could cause them to make bad choices
  • Pray that we will show them God's love and that He will be glorified
  • Pray for our safety and protection

No comments:

Post a Comment